Saturday, September 26, 2015

Let's Talk Mini Dolls

Hey guys!

As you probably know, AG has a line of "mini dolls", or smaller versions of their 18 inch historical dolls (and recently GOTYs, too). The mini dolls have taken three basic forms throughout their history. The first was a soft-bodied, vinyl type with glass eyes and wigged hair. They came with a hardcover mini abridged version of their meet book and were advertised as "Dolls for Dolls", i.e., AG dolls for YOUR AG dolls to play with! They cost $20 each.

A PM Josefina mini doll.

The second form was initiated in 2000 when Mattel bought the company. The dolls were then changed to have painted eyes and rooted hair, and the price rose to $24.

A historical character Josefina mini doll.

The third form came with the launch of BeForever. The dolls were changed to have all-vinyl bodies and flanged joints, and the price changed to $25. The mini books that came with them also changed from hardbacks into paperbacks and became slightly smaller.

A BeForever Josefina mini doll.

So, what do you think? What's your favorite type of AG mini doll? Comment below!

- Ellie

9 comments:

  1. OMG !! I love minis but their not as appreciated as the big dolls :( What do you mean by favorite type ? Like historical or GOTY ? Old glassed eyed , soft bodied , or the new ones ? My favorite of the soft bodied, but historical or GOTY is a hard choice . I'm going to say GOTY :) I have three now : Soft Bodied Josefina , GOTY Saige , and Beforever Maryellen :)
    -LuNa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR, they deserve more buzz.
      I was thinking of glass-eyed vs Mattel vs BF, but I love hearing your opinion on other stuff too!
      My faves are the soft bodies as well! My favorite of the dolls are Isabelle, Ruthie and Marie-Grace. I have Ruthie, Kit, and Elizabeth, all soft bodied. I've always wanted Saige!

      Delete
  2. I would have liked the bigger, hardback books. Unfortunately, I came to the AG fandom in 2013, so I got none of the old awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i personally prefer the pm and historical minis—after the beforever revamp i just lost all interest in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they definitely started to look a lot more manufactured and Barbie-like.

      Delete
  4. I really like the glass eyed pre Mattel dolls but sometimes to me they can look creepy! The PM Josefina is beautiful though. In all honesty I never really preferred the historical Mattel mini dolls- I have Kit and the cloth body seemed too bulky for me. The Beforever dolls I still can't decide on, a few look really cute like Kaya but others look "off" to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think some, like the Kirsten, looked weird, but you're right, Josie is beautiful.
      Yeah, a couple of them don't really look like their characters at all.

      Delete
  5. I really like the first Mattel mini-dolls. I think the new Beforever mini dolls are slightly creepy, and I like the PM dolls, but their eyes scare me a bit. :)
    ~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I think they looked most like the actual dolls.
      They do :)

      Delete

DESIGN BY CAELA