Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Doll Craft: Baguette

Hello! Today's tutorial is creating polymer clay bread, this tutorial can easily be adapted to create rolls and loafs! The wonderful Sugar Charm Shop has an excellent tutorial that is very helpful, you can find it here.  Although this craft is originally inspired by Girl of the Year Grace Thomas baguettes are a wonderful addition to any dolls kitchen and is one of the basic types of food found in the pantry :) Lets get started, shall we? The supplies you need are- 
Light Tan polymer clay (dough color) 
Pastels in the shed of brown, yellow and orange possibly white 
Toothpick 
Palette Knife/X-Acto Knife
Soft Brush 
Matte Modge Podge or Glaze 
(Unused) Toothbrush  
Water


 
You want to first start off with the light tan polymer clay, actually I could have gone a shade lighter as after looking through the pictures it was not the shade bread usually starts off with ;)

 
Shape into either a long oval for a baguette or, if like me making a loaf is a better option, shape into a shorter oval. The reason I did not make a traditional baguette while creating this tutorial was I did not have enough of the light tan polymer clay and I was to lazy to mix more...(Somehow now the color is the right shade in this picture?!) 

 
Here is what NOT to do, normally you would think cut out a piece to make it look lower that the rest of the bread but you actually create more of an illusion. 


 
Using the toothpick or X-Acto knife draw a leaf shape onto the bread, I was able to fit three but you can do how many you think is best. 

  
The dotting tool can also be used to give the shape more definition. 
 
Texture the inside of the leaf shape with a toothpick, you want the texture to be very light, even less defined than mine. 
 
Repeat. You can also use a toothbrush to lightly texture the surface of the bread and make it more realistic as opposed to being completely smooth. 

 
So the video suggests baking it and then shading it, after baking I thought she mentioned acrylic paint watered down but instead you mix the shavings of pastel with water. So next time I will go back to shading it before I bake it, or use pastels with water ;)
 
Ready to be baked! So my loaf (baguette) was baked at 275 degrees for 15 minutes. During this time I used the camera to take pictures of dolls.  
 
Do I have to show you the finished look? Because this creation is still a work in progress :)

 
I did not take pictures of the rest of this as after I realized my mistake I quickly tried to fix it by just using pastel shavings to shade it, the thing is, unless you add water to the pastel shaving the pastel is hard to adhere onto the surface of the hard polymer clay loaf and easily rubs off onto your hands.
  
Here it is before adding matte Modge Podge! Of course I did not take pictures after ;) So my loaf turned out very orange, very unlike a real loaf or baguette but I guess it's very similar to Graces, am I right? ;)
I hope this tutorial, at the very least, shows you what not to do when creating polymer clay bread. 
As always, a few basic tips are-  
Make sure to clean the surface you are using, take care on surfaces that can be easily damaged like wood. 
Clean your hands and tools if you are using them multiple times, extra polymer clay could accidentally turn a lighter color of polymer clay (like white) a different color or rub off onto the creation.  
If you have any questions or suggestions comment below! 
Thanks for looking, 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Nah, I thonk the bread looks great!

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete

DESIGN BY CAELA