Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Doll Craft: Raspberry Tart



Hi! I know, another doll food tutorial but I love making doll sized food inspired by the newest GOTY! Plus you only have to bear with me once a week ;) Today's tutorial is inspired from the raspberry tart found in Grace's Pastry Cart. The tart is not as popular for a video tutorial than a macaron so I basically went off prior knowledge. It took a few tries to create the pastry and lighting was giving me trouble so most of the pictures are not as clear as I wanted to.   
Supplies- 
Light Tan Polymer Clay  
Raspberry Polymer Clay 
Translucent Liquid Sculpey (for the filling) 
Brown pastels for shading, pink for the filling and white for the "dusting" on the raspberries
Toothpick 
Inspiration:  I wanted to make the raspberry tart look realistic while looking as close to Grace's as possible, here is American Girls- 

  image credit american girl 
The first step is to to roll the tan polymer clay into a ball, you might have learned this technique in art now you are going to make an impression in the middle of it and shape it into a shallow bowl, like a cake pan. This technique I believe is "pinch pot"  and then breaking off the pointy end of a toothpick create the ridges on each side.  


 To not use all of the Translucent Liquid Sculpey you want to use the extra polymer clay and roll into a ball, flatten it into a circle and place into the shallow part of the pastry.  



 Then mix Translucent Liquid Sculpey with pink pastel shavings until it is the light pink as shown in the picture. 
Before you add it to the pastry shade the edges of the pastry with brown pastel shavings to make it look baked. 
Then add the pink polymer clay onto the pastry making sure to cover the edges, I used a toothpick. I also accidentally got some on the  edge of the pastry, oops.  


Using the raspberry colored polymer clay (I mixed purple and red polymer clay) roll into tiny balls. I rolled about 30-40 to make about 6 raspberries, I also had to make extra and they don't look quite as large as the Grace's but I think they look cute.  
 I used about 4 or 5 for each raspberry. 

 Being very careful place the raspberry onto the tart, I arranged one in the middle and the others surrounding it, almost like a flower.  



 To create the dusting on the pastry I lightly shaved white pastel and sprinkled it on. Here is how it turned out- 



This was fun to make although it was challenging, some tips I have are- 
Make sure to clean the surface you are using, take care on surfaces that can be easily damaged like wood. 
Clean your hands and tools if you are using them multiple times, extra polymer clay could accidentally turn a lighter color of polymer clay (like white) or rub off onto the creation.   
Polymer clay is also a lint and dust magnet so either cover it after you finish or bake it :)
I hope you enjoyed and if you have any questions comment down below!
Thanks for looking,

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that looks so realistic! You are too talented ♥ I actually like your version of the rasperry tart better than AG's, it's too amazing ♥ ♥ ♥

    ♥ Shelby-Grace ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea, and looks so realistic! I never could have come up with something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! :) Definitely one of my favorite food crafts of yours yet. It looks so yummy, I just want to gobble it right up! I love the touch of the "powdered sugar". And I agree with Shelby - your version looks much yummier and more realistic than the AG version!

    - Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I so want to try making that! It does look cooler than AG's!

    <3Hope

    ReplyDelete

DESIGN BY CAELA