Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Upcycling A Baby Dress

Hello! Today I wanted to share a baby dress I turned into a doll dress. I first started out with an 18 month old dress I found at the thrift store for $1.30, I thought this dress was so cute! Baby clothes are a great size to upcyle as they only need a few adjustments and some sizes (preemie and newborn) don't need any adjustments at all! The patterns on fabrics are also in perfect scale, you can find baby clothes from consignment shops such as Once Upon A Child and thrift stores usually have a great selection, sometimes they will have clearance sale's which makes the overall investment even cheaper!  


 
As you can see the dress is a little long and very wide... with a few adjustments this dress will be just the right size! 

 Before I start cutting the dress I usually try it on the doll to see what I need to do, as you can see here I pinned up the dress, tucking the excess fabric inside it to create a floor length hem. 

 I also pinned the excess fabric in the back, unfortunately the nice zipper would have to be cut out :( Keep in mind a seam allowance as you want to leave enough room to add Velcro or another closure :)
 After I figured out what I want to do I take it off the doll, if you can't get the dress off easily it might be too tight (I've learned the hard way)  
 Using the pins as a guideline I cut off the excess fabric
Scraps! :) 

 I then took out the pins and laid the dress open, I used a dark blue thread, similar to the ribbon to sew the tuck I made with the fabric (Not sure if I explained this correctly :) 

 Here it is after I finished that step!

 After I had finished sewing I tried it on again, I also made adjustments in the back...
 I wanted the straps to fall off the shoulder as they were too big, so I planned on making the armholes smaller

 Cutting off more excess fabric..
 I sewed up the back about 3/4 of the length to create an opening where the Velcro would be sewn. 
 
 After that I trimmed the fabric close to the seam
 And then I pinned the straps in place!

 Sewed it....
And then tried it on again, I would have added sewing the Velcro but I lost a new package from the fabric store a few weeks ago and I am still looking for it :) 
 Here it is finished! The color complements Marie Grace very well.


 I had so much fun sewing this and I loved how it turned out! Have you upcycled anything?  
Thanks for looking, 




14 comments:

  1. That dress is so pretty! You are amazing at sewing. ^_^
    ~Leah <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! It means a lot to me :)

      Delete
  2. That dress is so adorable on Marie-Grace! Fantastic job!:)
    -Emma-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job - it ended up looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome!! I would love to do something like this!! Thanks for showing us how to do it =)
    -Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Up-cycling clothes are a great way to build your dolls wardrobe.

      Delete
  5. That's so fun that you made a doll dress out of a baby's dress! The finished product looks great. So pretty. :)
    ~Christian Homeschooler

    ReplyDelete
  6. That dress is so adorable!
    <3Bella

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've attempted at hand sewing a dress from an old yellow t shirt of mine, and a sweater from a gray one. It didn't go well. ; )
    Yours turned out fabulously!
    ~Gwen

    ReplyDelete

DESIGN BY CAELA